Sunrays are harsh on our skin. As we expose ourself to the daylight more, we start to get an unwanted tan or skin rashes. If your skin is sensitive, you surely hate the vampire-like feeling when you step in the sunshine. Sunscreen creams come to rescue in such situations. However, it is crucial to get the best product according to our skin type for the best results. Most of us simply slap on anything that first comes in our sight and then lament the decision. That’s why Hauteher is here to help you choose the best sunscreen for sensitive skin.
How to Choose the Best Sunscreen According to Different SPF Types
We know that the SPF rating decides the quality of sunscreen creams. SPF values range from 8 to 100. But what is the difference between the varying SPF ratings? The choice of the SPF for you will depend on your skin tone and the intensity of sun exposure. Here’s a quick guide:
- For Fair Skin: People with fair skin are highly susceptible to sun damage. They never get a tan but suffer from sunburns immediately. Therefore, even during low-intensity sun exposure, they need at least 30 SPF protection from the UV rays. During days with moderate heat, they need 50+ SPF protection, and for scorching days it better to find the highest rated sunscreen.
- For Medium Toned Skin: People with a caucasian or brown skin do not get affected by the UV rays much. Therefore, they can choose a sunscreen with SPF 15 protection during cold sunny days. SPF 30 lotion will work fine for your skin in most conditions. However, if the heat is too extreme, you can go for an SPF 50+ sunscreen.
- For Dark Skin: Dark-skinned people rarely get a sunburn. They can opt for a sunscreen with SPF value as low as 8 to 14 if the weather is a little shady. Moreover, SPF 30 cream is perfect for protecting dark skin, even if the UV levels are extreme.
Now that we understand how to choose the best sunscreen, here are some products that you can consider.
You may also read The Best Cleansers for Oily Skin – Top 10 Face Wash for Oily Skin
EltaMD UV Clear Broad-Spectrum Sunscreen
EltaMD is not a medical practitioner but a cosmetic brand. Many dermatologists prefer using EltaMD products themselves. The clean sunscreen lotion by the professional brand contains niacinamide, which is gentle on sensitive skin. If your skin is acne-prone, you will find the Broad-Spectrum lotion very potent for daily use. The sunscreen cream is very lightweight and spreads evenly.
- No artificial fragrance is present.
- Free from parabens and oil.
- Zinc oxide for a transparent feel.
Colorescience Sunforgettable Sunscreen Brush
The Colorescience Sunforgettable is a unique and gorgeous sunscreen. Unlike other products on our list, this sunscreen is not a lotion or cream. This product is a brush that works as an easy to apply sunscreen. The container houses sunscreen in powdered form, which flows through the bristles and settles on your skin softly. Colorescience is offering a real head-turner in the type of a Sunforgettable sunscreen brush.
- Ergonomically designed applicator.
- Different shades of sunscreen according to skin tone.
- Easy to carry, and the brush helps in applying it anywhere.
- Perfect for hypersensitive skin also.
Badger Lavender Sunscreen Cream
The cruelty-free, non-GMO, and completely organic Badger sunscreen is a dream come true for a naturalist. Badger’s products come from natural extracts and are even reef-friendly. The minerals present in the sunscreen provide SPF 30 protection form UVA and UVB rays. However, you can also find the variants of Badger lotion with different SPF levels.
- Natural ingredients.
- Safe for babies.
- Water-resistant for at least 80 minutes.
Blue Lizard Sensitive Mineral Sunscreen
From the warm sunny beaches of Australia, Blue Lizard has a successful record of passing many tests. The sunscreen comes in a peculiar package that turns red in the presence of UV rays. The mineral-based sunscreen is also free from harmful chemicals. Therefore, it is perfect to use on sensitive skin.
- Free from oxybenzone and octinoxate.
- Unique bottle design that reminds you to apply sunscreen in the presence of UV rays.
- SPF 30+ can protect from 97% harmful sun rays.
Vanicream Sunscreen Sport
The Vanicream sunscreen is gentle and natural healing for sensitive skin. The formula of the lotion is oil-free and contains no artificial fragrance. The non-comedogenic cream is also water-resistant for over 80 minutes.
- No parabens, lanolin, or formaldehyde.
- Free from preservatives.
You may also read How to Wear a Bandana Easily in Different Ways
MDSolarSciences Mineral Moisture Defense
Most of the sunscreens are not mineral-based; hence they cause dryness and blemishes. This sunscreen is a versatile one prepared to lock in Moisture and repair from any damage caused by sun rays. The sunscreen is non-greasy and acts as a barrier shield from the harmful sun rays.
- Water-resistant for one hour
- Safe for kids (6months and older)
SkinMedica Essential Defense Everyday Clear
SkinMedica is a very lightweight product that provides protection and seeps into skin pores very gently. It contains antioxidants that would keep skin health perfectly fine. It comes with an SPF 47 that is very idle for the skin.
- Can be used daily
- Protection from UVA rays
Suntegrity 5 in 1 Natural Moisturizing Sunscreen
Suntegrity 5 in 1 natural sunscreen is a two-way protective lotion that shields your skin against sun and damages caused by sun-like reddened skin, dark spots, inflammation, etc. This lotion is a good alternative for BBcream for primer purposes as well. Being useful, this ranks high in the EWG ranking system (Environmental Working Group database).
- Parabens free
- 100% natural
- Hygienic packaging
Skinceuticals Physical Fusion Uv Defense
This sunscreen lotion gives a very toned look as it does not leave any white cast over the skin and gets absorbed well. It is very gentle on the skin suiting all kinds of skin types. Plankton extracts rich sunscreen enriches the skin’s natural resistance to fight the damage caused by pollution, heat, or UV rays and heals it.
- Parabens free
- Non-oil based
- Gets absorbed well into the skin
- Has zinc oxide
- Capacity to resist water up to half an hour
NYDG – Chem-Free Active Defense
NYDG Active Defense sunscreen contains argan extracts and squalane that get absorbed quickly into the skin. It is a very skin-friendly lightweight formula to protect your skin from the sun. It also provides a shield again dirt and pollution outside.
Here’s a video explaining how to useBest Sunscreen to Soothe the Sensitive Skin
So that’s it, the ultimate list to help you choose the best sunscreen for you is here. Choose the sunscreen that is best for your preferences and get rid of sunburn and damaged skin. However, before trying any product, remember to perform a patch test. The test will allow you to check for any allergens that might be present in the sunscreen creams. Share your sun-kissing experience with us in the comments.