Met with an accident in the kitchen? We know food color can cause a mess on your kitchen table. It is even more irritating when this color sticks to your hands and face. But it’s not an arduous task to remove the stains from the skin. Here are the top tips to get food coloring off skin at home quickly.
Remove Food Coloring From Skin Using Toothpaste
Toothpaste is the most commonly used agent to remove food coloring from hands. You will need a non-gel based toothpaste because it contains baking soda. Here are the steps to use toothpaste to remove food coloring:
- Wash the stain on your hands with soap. Without drying the hands, apply some toothpaste.
- Use your fingers to rub the stain in a circular motion. If both hands are stained, use the toothpaste like a soap.
- Keep rubbing your hands for at least two minutes and then rinse with warm water.
- Repeat the process until the stain disappears completely.
Rubbing Alcohol to Remove Food Coloring Stains
Rubbing alcohol or acetone over the stain is the best way to get rid of food color. Alcohol is a better option to clean the face because toothpaste can be harsh on your skin. If you don’t have alcohol at home, you can use nail polish remover. However, if you have sensitive skin, do not use acetone. Alcohol removes the moisturizer from the skin and leaves it dry. Therefore, it is better to ignore this method if you have dry or sensitive skin.
- Take a cotton ball and soak it thoroughly with alcohol or nail polish remover.
- Use the cotton to rub the stain till it fades away.
- Wash your skin with water and use a lotion to moisturize the skin.
You may also read Untold Secret Flax Seeds Benefits for Hair
Removing Food Color Stains Using Vinegar and Baking Soda
Just like toothpaste that contains baking soda, you can use a mixture of vinegar and baking soda to remove the stain. VInegar’s acidic nature helps in lightening the stain. Baking powder can then work like soap to get rid of the color completely. However, do not use vinegar or baking soda on your face.
- Wash the stain on your skin with warm water before applying vinegar.
- Soak a towel in vinegar and rub the color. You can use a washcloth also.
- Stop rubbing when the color starts to fade.
- Make a paste of baking soda and vinegar to remove the stubborn stain.
- Use the paste to rub the stain away like soap gently.
- Keep the rubbing gentle because baking soda is harsh on the skin.
- Rinse your skin with water thoroughly to remove all the grains of the paste.
- Apply moisturizer to keep your skin safe from the ill effects of using harsh chemicals.
Other Potent Methods to Get Food Color Off Skin
If the food coloring stain is not very stubborn, you can use these light techniques. Most of the time, you don’t need harsh methods to get rid of stains. So let’s see how to get food coloring off the skin gently.
Laundry Stain Remover
- Squirt some stain remover in a bowl of warm water.
- Soak your hands in the bowl and swish them in water for a couple of minutes.
- Splash the solution on other body parts that have food color stains.
- The color should get off soon.
- Repeat the process if you don’t get the desired results.
Baby Wipes or Oil
- Baby wipes contain oil that can help in removing the stain.
- You can also use baby oil directly to get quick results.
- Soak a cotton ball in baby oil and rub the stain over and over.
- Finally, rinse the stain with warm water and soap.
You may also read What is the difference between ombre and balayage?
- The peroxide present in shaving cream removes colors easily.
- Rub the stain with shaving cream till it loses its dye.
- Make a cleaner using dish soap and lemon to remove food color.
- Mix some drops of lemon with dish soap and half-teaspoon of sugar.
- Rub the solution on the stain and let it dry.
- Rinse the color with soap.
Here’s a video explaining How to Get Food Coloring Off Skin At Home Easily
Food color stains are stubborn, but you can remove them easily at home. Even if you leave them untreated, they will eventually go away. However, it will take at least 24 hours for a dark stain to go away. Therefore it is better to treat the stain with stuff present at home. You can follow each of these methods at home to get food coloring off the skin quickly. Moreover, you can stay safe by using gloves while using food colors. Staying protected beforehand will save you from the hassle of removing the stains later.